While every month is Oregon wine month at our house, May is officially Oregon Wine Month for everybody else. This month our Wine Pairing Weekend group will celebrate a small subsection of Oregon wines – but one we are quite proud of – Willamette Valley’s Biodynamic Wines.
The Biodynamic practice began with Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner’s work Agriculture Lectures of 1924. Steiner wrote this in response to farmers who following the Age of Industrialism, were concerned about the declining health and vitality of their crops, plants and animals.
Biodynamic philosophy is a holistic approach that focuses on building healthy soil, treating the farm as a living organism, and the interaction of the soil, plants, animals, humans, and the cosmos.
Oregon is known as a leader in sustainable agriculture and wine growing is no exception. It is a delight for us to highlight wines from these Biodynamic producers. We’d like to thank our sponsors Willamette Valley Wine Association, Emily Kaplan Petterson of EKP Media, and the following wineries:
Cooper Mountain. Keeler Estate, Brooks Winery, Brick House, King Estate, Johan Vineyards, Maysara Winery, Montinore Estate, Winderlea Vineyard and Winery
Willamette Valley has a reputation for great New World Pinot Noir. You’ll notice though that our wine pairing crew had a lot of diversity to work with. Not only memorable Pinot Noir but many other grapes and styles showed up on our tables this month. I am delighted to share a pairing with Montinore Estate’s Gewurtzraminer.
Here is a sneak peak of the dishes and wine pairings that are in store. These recipes will go live this Saturday May 11th during our Twitter chat scheduled 8-9 am PT. Follow #winepw as we discuss the behind the scenes of our recipe pairings and share thoughts on these amazing wines.
- David of Cooking Chat has prepared “Salmon, Farro and Mushrooms with Winderlea Pinot Noir”
- Camila of Culinary Adventures with Camila is celebrating with “Simple Pleasures, A Birthday Cheeseboard + Keeler Estate Vineyards’ 2017 Terracotta Amphorae Riesling”
- Jill of L’Occasion writes about “Peace, Bread, Land and Wine’: A Meal With Brooks Winery”
- Jennifer of Vino Travels will share “Biodynamic Wines of the Willamette Valley with King Estate”
- Lori of Dracaena Wines will present “Continuing the Biodynamic Legacy #WinePW“
- Jane from Always Ravenous pairs “Wild Alaskan Salmon with Herbed Ricotta and Oregon Pinot Noir”
- Pinny of Chinese Food and Wine Pairings combines “Biodynamic Grüner Veltliner and Pinot Noir from Johan Vineyards Plus Surf ‘n’ Turf Dinner”
- Linda of My Full Wine Glass shares “Ode to Oregon: Johan’s Biodynamic Expression of Place (#WinePW)”
- Gwendolyn Alley from Wine Predator will present “Our land is our life and our life is our wine” — Cooper Mountain Pinot Paired with Duck #WinePW
- Deana from Asian Test Kitchen has whipped up “Oregon Orange Wine Sparkles with Indian Curry”
- Wendy Klik A Day in the Life on the Farm discovers “Dammit!! These are some great wines from Willamette.
- Lauren Walsh of The Swirling Dervish will tempt us with “Pork Loin, Mushrooms, and Fiddlehead Ferns Meet Biodynamic Pinot Noir from Bergström Wines (#WinePW)”
- Martin of Enofylz Wine Blog brings us “A Taste of Cooper Mountain Vineyards at the Table #WinePW“
- Jeff of Food Wine Click is pairing “Biodynamic Willamette Valley with Brick House and Harissa Chicken”
- Payal of Keep the Peas is presenting “Living off the Land: King Estate Pinot Noir + Mushroom Pâté”
- Rupal of Syrah Queen is sharing “Maysara Winery – Iranian Immigrants Achieving The American Dream”
- Jade of Tasting Pour will share “Thai Green Curry Rockfish and Montinore Estate Gewurztraminer #WinePW”