I am pretty excited about this Curried Mango Chicken Salad. It is spicy and sweet and crunchy and fresh.
I don’t like mayonnaise. Yes, they may take my Southern card away. I can only tolerate small homemade quantities. So am often looking for ways to reinvent mayo centric recipes. Like this No Mayo Cold Slaw.
I DO love chicken salad. Mark said he would support some no mayo chicken salad recipe experimentation. He doesn’t like mayonnaise either. The first attempt was a smashing success and absolute perfection with Maryhill Viognier. Now let’s see if I can recall what I did. Maybe we should not have finished the bottle.
Curried Mango Chicken Salad – No Mayo
- For chicken salad:
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded (I used thighs)
- 1 container Trader Joe's Whole Milk Yogurt Coconut Cream
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Major Grey's Chutney
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- For green salad
- 6 cups mixed spring lettuce
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- For garnish:
- 2 red scallions chopped small (including 3 inches of green stem)
- ½ cup grapes, cut in half or quarters
- ¼ cup Trader Joe's Pomegranate Vinegar
- 1 lime
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar.
- Combine vinegar, lime juice, allspice, sugar in bowl. Add scallions and grapes. Soak while preparing rest of dish to make a quick pickle.
- Chicken Salad:
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. (yogurt, ginger, curry, red pepper flakes, chutney, bell pepper, chicken, salt and pepper)
- Green salad:
- Divide lettuce greens between two plates. Garnish with cilantro, mint, and hazelnuts
- Top lettuce with chicken salad. Strain onion and grapes from "pickling juice". Garnish chicken salad.
- Makes 2 entree sized servings or 4 salad course or lunch servings.
2016 Maryhill Viognier
Sip it on the porch, veranda, deck – choose your outdoor seating and pour a glass. Vanilla custard, marshmallow, peach, apricot, and light honey on the nose. Viscous on the palate but with balanced acidity. A little off dry with sugared apple slices, a touch of grounding minerality, and a perfumey floral bite on the finish. $16
Anyone else hate mayo? What are some of your favorite no mayo recipes?