Fresh corn from the Pitchfork and Crow CSA, a Wine Pairing Weekend assignment from Martin Redmond of Enofylz Wine Blog to pair Grüner Veltliner, and the mood boost that cooking gives me and I was off to the kitchen to create this shrimp and corn soup. Classically an Austrian grape, I am proud to say the first commercial Grüner in the US was from right here in Oregon.
Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards Grüner Veltliner
Oregon is about much more than Pinot Noir, especially Southern Oregon. Stephen Reustle makes 14ish estate grown wines that are all good to stellar. Tasting is on the patio surrounded by gardens straight out of Narnia or in underground catacombs designed by the architect who built the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. No lie. He lives in Roseburg, Oregon. You can’t make this stuff up.
Stephen tells this story, “I was in Austria on a motorcycle tour of the Alps in 2001 and went into an expensive restaurant. I asked the waiter to bring out what he thought was the best example of Austrian white wine, and he brought out a Grüner Veltliner (pronounced Velt-LEANER). Now at the time, I had been a wine collector for 20 years and had never heard of it before. But I tried it and thought it was simply sublime.”
He began producing Grüner in 2005. We bought a few bottles when we visited last year and were happily drinking our way through the stash. Then I got to taste a Reustle Grüner with some age. I think it was the 2005. Oh my, that aged Grüner was an experience – one I want to repeat. So now I just go down to the cellar and drool over the bottles thinking, “One day, one day you will be mine.”
It was a sacrifice to open one for this pairing. A restocking trip to Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards is in order.
A mineral driven nose leads to a richly luxurious sensory sensation on the palate flavored with honey, cantaloup, and apricot. Food loving acid, perfectly balanced, and you are left with a tinge of spice on the finish.
Shrimp and Corn Soup
I had some fresh crispy ears of local sweet corn and wanted some soup but all of the recipes online dumped in a bunch of cream. I like my pants to fit. My version is lighter than most you will find but chocked full of flavor, natural sweetness, and I had to throw in some spice.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1½ cups fresh corn kernels cut from the ear, about 3-4 ears of corn
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 cups of fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh herbs (I used basil)
- ¾ tsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp powdered red pepper
- ¼ tso paprika
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- cherry tomatoes and extra herbs to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large pot until it browns.
- Add corn and stir to coat with butter.
- Add spices - salt, curry, red pepper, paprika and coat the corn.
- Cook 5 minutes careful not to let it stick.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes and herbs and heat through.
- Meanwhile cook the chopped bacon in a skillet and remove with slotted spoon. Leave any bacon drippings in pan.
- Transfer soup to food processor and puree. Feel free to leave it a little chunky.
- Return soup to pot and warm over low heat.
- Cook shrimp in pan with bacon drippings, adding butter to coat pan if necessary. Cook until pink and opaque.
- Ladle soup into two large bowls.
- Divide shrimp between bowls.
- Garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes and herbs.
Learn more about Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards and other Oregon Tasting Rooms You Should Visit.
Can’t wait to see what the other #winepw crew paired with Grüner Veltliner.
- Michelle of Rockin Red Blog tell us Why You Should be Drinking Grüner Veltliner.
- Jill of L’Occassion recommends we Go Ahead and Say It: Grüner Veltliner
- Camilla, Culinary Adventures with Camilla is dishing- Herbs, Bitter Greens, and Halibut Cheeks with Grüner Veltliner
- Sarah of Curious Cuisinere tempts us with Backhendl (Austrian Fried Chicken) and Grüner Veltliner
- Nancy of Pull that Cork will be offering Grüner Veltliner: A Pair of Pear(ings) for #winePW
- Lori of Dracaena Wines will be sending A Message in a Bottle From Austria
- David of Cooking Chat presents a healthy Kale and Tempeh Curry with Grüner
- Jeff of FoodWineClick asks the question Is Grüner Veltliner Your Next Pizza Wine?
- Lauren of the The Swirling Dervish proclaims Gruner Veltliner: A Lot Easier to Drink than It is to Say
- Cindy of Grape Experiences recommends we Wine and Dine: Gruner Veltliner and Salmon Teriyaki with Garlic Baby Potatoes
- Jade of Tasting Pour serves up Shrimp and Corn Soup with Gruner Veltlner
- Wendy of A Day In The Life On The Farm presents Germany collides with Asia for #WinePW
- Julie of Wine N Friends proffers an Emotional Connection with Grüner Veltliner
- Martin of ENOFYLZ Wine Blog will be offering A Taste of Grüner Veltliner; Old World and New World
Click here for a list of past and future Wine Pairing Weekend events!