It is always exciting to receive a box from Red Ridge Farms. Whether olive oil or wine we know the contents will inspire us to create a wonderful meal. Durant Vineyards at Red Ridge has an interesting model. They play matchmaker with their grapes and winemakers. A different hand selected winemaker works with fruit from each vineyard designate. The winemakers’ intimate knowledge results in wines that consistently deliver every vintage. This was especially important in 2013 when surprise September rains altered the vintage making 13 a “winemakers year.”
The note with our 2013 La Paloma Dundee Hills Pinot Noir said the grapes were picked 6 days before the rains. Think of your “go to” sauce. The kind that makes every dish better. That requires bread to capture every last bit lest you pick up your plate and like it. That perfectly married sauce is the closest description we can give you of the way the flavors of this wine melded together. Dusty, smoky, and spicy – a mix of dried cherry, cranberry, blackberry, dried oregano and mint, powdery baking spices and black pepper. A bright, silky presentation on the plate with floral notes. Enjoy now or cellar.
We paired this wine with chicken marsala -an easy recipe that can be made on weeknight or for a dinner party.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Flour, salt, pepper
- olive oil
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs each basil and oregano chopped
- allspice and paprika to taste
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken or veggie broth
- parsley for garnish
- fresh pasta
- Lightly pound chicken breast. Cut into 3-4 pieces each. Coat with mixture of flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil and 2 Tbs. butter in skillet, Brown chicken on both sides and remove to a plate.
- Add onions to skillet adding more oil if necessary. Cook until have softened. Add mushrooms, paprika, allspice, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms have begun to soften. Add Marsala and chicken broth. Return chicken pieces and juices to skillet. Bring to simmer. Simmer partially covered 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is desired thickness. Serve over pasta and garnish with parsley.