It is that time of year again. The time when everyone talks SOOOO much about eating healthy. Just typing this makes me want a scone. If you want one too here’s a recipe for Cherry Hazelnut Scones. Yes, I’m bad. The trick to eating healthy is to make the food as delicious as those cookies you just devoured at Christmas. You won’t get much better than this carrot soup with buttered pecans. I mean you will lick the serving spoon. And yes, I know my healthy carrot soup offering contains the word butter. Moderation.
The first trick is to find the very best carrots you can. Chances are good those will come from a local farmer. Gardener’s Tip: If you grow your own carrots, leave them in the ground until after the first freeze. It will concentrate the flavor and make them taste naturally sweeter.
It isn’t hard to make lovely, healthy dishes like this carrot soup when I get veggies like these from my CSA Pitchfork and Crow.
This carrot soup was part of our pairing menu for our 6 NW Sparkling Wines for your Holiday Wish List article. Check it out for some great bubbles that will make this simple carrot soup even fancier. We made a big batch of the carrot soup and served it appetizer style. Everyone though it was so decadent and it is hardly more than water and carrots plus a little pecan crunchiness.
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 lbs carrots sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (optional) You will only need the sugar if your carrots aren't very flavorful
- 8 cups water
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ tablespoon butter, unsalted
- Melt butter in a large pot over very low heat. Spread chopped onion out in one layer. Once onions turn translucent sprinkle them with a little salt. Avoid the urge to stir. Once onions have begun to caramelize (15 minute), add spices (cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt) and give them a good toss. Then add sliced carrots and cook stirring until fragrant. Add water, simmer covered, until carrots are tender (smushy with back of spoon). Puree soup in food processor.
- Spread pecans in one layer on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350 F oven until golden and fragrant.. Melt butter in skillet, toss toasted pecans in butter, sprinkle with salt.
- Spoon hot soup into 10 appetizer cups or 5 - 6 soup bowls. Garnish with pecans.
Thanks to Wendy Klik of A Day in the Life on a Farm for hosting this Healthy Soup Options assignment for Soup Saturday Swappers #soupswappers. See what healthy soup options our friends created.